There are many positives to list when it comes to why we do what we do here at Overlake OB/GYN, but delivering babies is undoubtedly a highlight. However, even more, magical than the sight of a newborn baby is the knowledge that we are there the moment a woman officially transcends into motherhood. It is an honor and one that we don’t take lightly.
That is why Mother’s Day is so important to us; it honors one of the most important aspects of womanhood.
Happy Mother’s Day! How Do You Plan on Celebrating This Year?
Our job brings us in touch with women who are not yet mothers, women who have pushed themselves to the limit to become mothers, and those who have chosen never to become mothers but still fill an incredible role in the lives of the children around them.
For that reason, we want to wish a Happy Mother’s Day to all women, for we are all Mothers of the Heart, even if we have never become mothers of the womb. Here are some ideas for celebrating Mother’s Day beyond the traditional celebration.
- Send a card to your “other” Mother (s). How many women did it take to shape your life? Odds are, there were more than just your mother. Mothers come to us in many forms. Sometimes she’s a grandmother or a favorite aunt. Other times she is a friend’s mother or an elder that we meet and befriend along the way. In certain circumstances – or when it comes to certain topics – we feel even safer telling these women things we’d never tell our own mothers! Send a Mother’s Day card to any women who have played a special role in your life and let them know how much their motherly love has meant to you.
- Reach out to a friend who’s trying to become a mother. Do you have a friend battling an infertility diagnosis or finding it more challenging than she thought to conceive? Mother’s Day can be especially painful for those who have always wanted to become mothers but can’t. Send a card, text, or thoughtful email and let her know that you honor her ability to Mother and that she has your unfailing support.
- Do something a little different. Is your family bored with the traditional get dressed up, gather, eat, chat format that these gatherings seem to follow year after year? Maybe it’s time to shake things up and do something different and unique, like volunteering, going on a hike, setting up a casual picnic in the backyard or at a park, or taking a cooking class. Need some ideas? Check out this link from Postable (who you can also use to send a card) filled with Mother’s Day activity suggestions.
- Get together with friends. Mother’s Day may not be as relaxing as you would hope if you have little ones. Somehow, toddlers and teenagers don’t understand that they need to behave perfectly for just one day of the calendar year. Instead, gather your pals together for a relaxing lunch or a group mani/pedi appointment to honor yourself in peace.
- Honor Mothers who have passed on. Mother’s Day can take on a bittersweet feeling when you have recently lost your own Mother…and many years after her passing. Do you know others whose mothers have passed on? Consider a gathering or set aside a portion of the afternoon dedicated to honoring the powerful women who are no longer with us and the grief that we still feel in their absence.
The entire team at Overlake OB/GYN would like to wish all women a very Happy Mother’s Day!