Pregnancy is about as original and authentic as it gets; it’s the quintessential expression of the human life form. Even so, pregnancy is not immune to the technological revolution and there are countless apps designed for those who want to get pregnant and for those who are. Your smartphone and tablet apps can help you conceive, know what size your baby is (is he/she a grape seed or a kumquat?), how your diet is matching up to best eating practices during pregnancy and so on.
Here are a few of our favorite pregnancy apps in no particular order (except the first one…)
5 Great Apps for Pregnant Women and Those Who Long to Be Pregnant Women
- Ovia Fertility. Of course, we have to start with the app that gets you pregnant in the first place. The Ovia Fertility app does cost $5, but it’s well worth it. The more details you put into it, the more accurately it can determine your optimal fertility window. Plus, tracking your period, symptoms and other factoids about your female reproductive system can also help you notice if there is something that is abnormal or out of sync so you can visit your OB/GYN and figure it out. Just remember, the day you ovulate isn’t necessarily the best time to have sex. Sperm can live up to 5 days or longer inside of you so you are better off having sex for the few days prior to ovulating – as well as The Big O Day – so there are plenty of swimmers in place for the mere 24-hours your egg is accepting applicants.
- 2. Pregnancy++. Downloading the Pregnancy++ App is the second thing you’ll want to do once you’ve seen those magical + signs – and we’re sure you’ll test more than once to confirm things. The first thing you should is call your OB/GYN and schedule your first pre-natal appointment, of course! Pregnancy++ will give you all the nitty-gritty details about what is happening inside your body to accommodate your growing embryo, then fetus, then baby. Even more fascinating to you will be the weekly education on your baby’s internal and external developments, complete with pictures. There are all kinds of accessory benefits as well, like baby name finders, labor/delivery packing lists, exercise tips and the like.
- 3. BellySnaps. This is the app that will let you know we’re in the 21st century; once you’ve made it to your “safe point” (for many women, it’s the 13-week mark when the chances of a miscarriage shrink considerably), BellySnaps will let you send an ultra-sound (or whatever picture you want) along with a message to announce your pregnancy. You can continue to keep your Baby Snaps contact list updated as often as you like with pictures, how you’re feeling, your feelings and thoughts, etc., and they can communicate with you as well.
- 4. CineMama. Can’t you just envision the beautiful video montage you and your hubby will put together once your new baby is born? Your beautiful belly pictures, decorating the nursery, the delivery, etc. Oops! The problem is that once Junior(ette) is born there’s no time anymore, especially if he/she isn’t your first. CineMama allows you to capture snapshots of the important moments throughout your pregnancy and then it assembles them into a sweet montage/video for you at the end. The more photos and moments you share, the more special your movie will be. Note: You do need a Facebook account to log-in to the CineMama app.
- 5. Pregnancy Food Guide. Tired of wondering what’s safe and what not when it comes to your pregnancy diet? Then download the Pregnancy Food Guide App and worry no more. It will highlight all the no-nos and can be your greatest resource when you’re debating menu items. Additionally, Pregnancy Food Guide will share information about pregnancy super foods so you can add them to your grocery list and your diet.
Do you have a favorite pregnancy app you would add to our list? Tell us about it below so the Overlake OB/GYNers can check it out. Did you just find out you’re pregnant? Schedule your first prenatal appointment with us and you’ll benefit from a woman- and baby-centric team that empowers women through the pregnancy and birthing process.