Our physicians are all on the active staff at Overlake Hospital Medical Center in Bellevue, WA and Swedish Issaquah, WA.
- James D. Haines, MD, grew up in Michigan. He did all his medical training at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. In medical school he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honors medical society. He joined Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1980. Dr. Haines is now the president of the Seattle Gynecological Society and the chairperson of the obstetrics and gynecology department at Overlake Hospital Medical Center. In 2002, he was named one of Seattle’s Top Doctors by Seattle Magazine. Jim and his wife, Amanda, live in Kirkland. They have three sons. The family enjoys theater, snowboarding, climbing and scuba diving.
- Ann M. Kolwitz, MD, accomplished her medical degree at The Ohio State University and her residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Dr. Kolwitz joined Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1984. She and her daughter, Christy, live in Issaquah. She enjoys wind surfing, skiing and hiking.
- Michael M. Lawler, MD, grew up in Montana and attended the University of Montana. He received his medical degree at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and completed his residency training at the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor. He practiced in Hamilton, Montana before associating with Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1990. Dr. Lawler is married and has four children. He and his wife are actively involved in scouting and church related activities and their family enjoys skiing, golf and other sports.
- Kristin J. Graham, MD, grew up in Minnesota. She went to Wellesley College and received her medical degree at the University of Minnesota Medical School. She did her postgraduate training, including one year in high-risk obstetrics, at Harvard. She practiced in Boston, Massachusetts before joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in January 1992. Dr. Graham is married and has two sons. She enjoys skiing, biking, hiking and running.
- Jonathan I. Paley, MD, was raised in Upstate New York, graduating with Distinction from Cornell University with a degree in Psychology. He received his MD, with Honors, from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, and then completed his residency training at the Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina. Dr. Paley has practiced in both Minneapolis and Seattle before joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in October of 2000. His wife, Pamela, is a Gynecologic Oncologist and they have two children. The Paley’s enjoy skiing, tennis, and a variety of other outdoor and family activities. Dr. Paley was named one of Seattle Magazine’s Top Docs in both 2010 and 2011.
- Katherine A. Van Kessel, MD, was raised in California and attended medical school at the University of California in San Francisco. She completed her residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Washington in 2000 and remained on the faculty there until joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 2003. Dr. Van Kessel is dedicated to women’s healthcare and providing a safe and comfortable environment for her patients. She believes that the key to a successful relationship with patients is to listen carefully to them and to involve them in the decision-making process. Special interests are human papilloma virus, cervical dysplasia, obstetrics and general gynecology. Dr. Van Kessel is married and has two sons. She enjoys many outdoor activities and spending time with her family.
- Desiree L. Otto, MD, grew up in Montana. She moved to the area in 1985 and attended Seattle Pacific University. Dr. Otto received her medical degree and residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Washington. After completing her training in 2001, she practiced in the greater Seattle area until joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 2005. Dr. Otto enjoys golfing, boating, hiking, and spending time with her husband and their two children.
- Judith A. Lacy, MD, is originally from California but grew up in Washington State. She received her medical degree from Oregon Health and Science University and completed her residency training at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina. She then completed a fellowship in pediatric and adolescent gynecology at The Hospital for Sick Children at the University of Toronto in Canada. She spent two years on faculty at Stanford University School of Medicine practicing general obstetrics and gynecology with an emphasis in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology before joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 2008. She enjoys hiking, windsurfing, skiing and travel.
- Dr. Christine Werner was born and raised in Nevada. She completed her undergraduate schooling at Colorado State University then attended University of Nevada School of Medicine. She moved to Portland, Maine where she completed her residency training at Maine Medical Center and received the “Resident of the Year” award during her final year. Dr. Werner joined Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecology in November, 2011. Dr. Werner believes in a patient-centered approach to medicine and open lines of communication. Dr. Werner is married and has two daughters. She enjoys swimming, hiking, and spending time with her family.
- Lori Loghin, ARNP, CNM, was born in Romania, and although she grew up in Washington State, she is fluent in the Romanian language. She was a labor and delivery nurse at Overlake Hospital for eight years while earning her Bachelor in Science of Nursing in 2006 from the University of Washington, and then proceeding to complete her Master’s degree in midwifery in 2010, also from the University of Washington. Lori joined Overlake Obstetricians & Gynecologists in 2010. She lives in Bellevue and enjoys singing in various church choirs, traveling, reading, and spending time with friends and family.
- Peggy Kibbel, ARNP, CNM, a Pacific Northwest native, has been a Registered Nurse since 1974. After working 8 years in adult intensive care, she became involved in maternity care. Peggy graduated from the Seattle Midwifery School in 1983 and received her master’s degree in nurse-midwifery from Case Western Reserve University in 1989. She practiced as a CNM in Detroit, Michigan, working with the Hutzel Hospital Nurse-Midwifery Service and the Henry Ford Health Systems Midwifery Service. Peggy returned to this area in 2000 and, with the support of the obstetricians at Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists, became the first CNM to receive privileges at Overlake Hospital Medical Center. Peggy lives in Issaquah with her husband Brad and children Spencer and Amanda, and enjoys exploring the beautiful surrounding areas during leisure time.
- Laura Carmichael, ARNP, CNM, MBA was raised on the Eastside and has lived in Issaquah since 2003. She received her undergraduate degree in Psychology from Pepperdine University and Master’s degrees in Business Administration and Midwifery from Seattle University in 2008 and 2011. Laura has worked locally as a Certified Nurse Midwife and is pleased to be serving her community at Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists. She enjoys being outdoors, traveling, hiking and spending time with her husband, Jess, and two children.
- Jenny Nielsen, ARNP, CNM, grew up in the Chicago area. She received her bachelor’s degree in nursing from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1988 and her master’s degree in nurse-midwifery from Oregon Health Sciences University in 1995. She practiced in Portland, Oregon before joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 2006. Jenny is married and has two children. She enjoys practicing yoga, travel and exploring the greater Seattle area with her family.
- Lisa Abel, ARNP, MSN, grew up in Upstate New York. She obtained her undergraduate degree from Keuka College and her master’s degree in women’s healthcare in 1989 from the University of Rochester in New York State. Lisa practiced in New York until moving to Washington State in July of 2000. She came to Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in November 2001. Lisa is married and has two sons. She enjoys gardening, quilting, and outdoor activities with her family.
- Cheryl Axford, ARNP, MSN, received her master’s degree in maternal-child nursing in 1978 from Loma Linda University and became a nurse practitioner in 1999 from the University of Washington. Cheryl practiced at Overlake Reproductive Health before joining Overlake Obstetricians and Gynecologists in May of 2003. She has over 30 years of experience working with women in various stages of their lives. Her particular focus is on infertility. Cheryl lives with her daughter and enjoys art, music and snow skiing.